Home > Nature, Weather > Spring is Here! Not.

Spring is Here! Not.

garden

“Is the spring coming?” he said.

“What is it like?”…

“It is the sun shining on the rain and the rain falling on the sunshine…”

Frances Hodgson Burnett,

The Secret Garden

This weekend was opening day for town soccer in the Hudson Valley.The first day of soccer is always a clear indication that spring is truly here! Indeed, starting at 9am, the fields were flooded with kids ages 5 to 16, each one of whom came out ready to play ball!

There was just one problem.

game day 023

It was 32 DEGREES!

Ehem!….that would be the temperature at which all things freeze! Including humans standing on a field.

But, Spring is here! Phil Said So! Remember? Two months ago in front of millions of people! Live! On television.Well Phil, it’s not and there’s a bit of an uproar here on the East Coast about it.In fact, there’s been talk of a lawsuit by a prosecutor in Ohio who wants to indict Phil for incorrectly predicting the weather, some back tracking gibberish about Phil’s “handler”mistranslating the prediction and even the calling of the poor fellow’s head by a radical few.

People who live on the East Coast take their weather very seriously and talk about it all-the-time! They really enjoy their four seasons: the (temporary) heat of summer, the cool of fall, the (temporary) cold of winter and the warmth of spring.Yes, the warmth of spring. Even though it made it to 50 degrees later in the day, well after the soccer games had ended, it was too little, too late. Thirty-two degrees at the start of any day is not spring. We were promised spring, an early spring! We’re waiting and we’re over due.

But heck people! We really can’t blame Phil. Even though Punxsutawney Phil has been predicting the start or stall of spring for the last 123-years amidst great fanfare, pomp and circumstance, and even though he predicted an early spring for us this year (back in FEBRUARY) let’s face it; no matter how you slice it, the truth is, Phil, is a groundhog! A GROUNDHOG! And groundhogs really don’t have special communicative or weather related powers.There is no such thing as “groundhogese“. I don’t think they even make good house pets.

You never hear anyone talking about their pet groundhog — ever.

mother nature new

It’s Mother Nature who’s the real culprit here.

She’s the one to blame.

Go ahead.

I dare you!

Photo Credits: #1 & #3 – Google Images

Photo Credit #2 – Karen Szczuka Teich & Takingtheworldonwithasmile.com

Advertisements
  1. April 7, 2013 at 7:29 am

Its all part of this whacky weather these past years. You know, its funny, everyone wants to cry ‘global warming’ but take away our warm weather and lots of people freak! I’m all in favor of the warm weather too but if we get an extended cold spell I figure it is helping our planet with the whole ‘warming’ situation. Ok that may be a stretch. Hang in there Karen!

• April 7, 2013 at 7:53 am

You know Andy, I have this theory: the earth has been here doing its own (hot/cold) thing for way longer than we have & while I am all for not “polluting” simply because that’s the right thing to do, I highly doubt we have much of a “global” impact at all. Having said that, it would be nice not to freeze on the fields! 🙂

2. April 7, 2013 at 9:43 am

LOL! It’s not here either. And I agree – what does a groundhog know?

• April 7, 2013 at 1:56 pm

I have a feeling where you are is a wee-bit colder than where I am Lady. 32 degrees may even be warm to you. But spring is spring and I think we’re all ready for it!

3. April 8, 2013 at 5:48 pm

I feel for you, Karen! I have a few blogging buds on your coastline, and I’m hearing the same “where’s spring” from y’all. I wish I could send you some of our lovely Cali weather in a box to tide you over! I can’t imagine still dealing with 32 degree temps in the morning. Yikes! I won’t share our temps from yesterday, lol. Today is a bit chillier (but still much warmer than that), but it will heat up again later in the week. Either way, you can do it, you can make it, and think of how grateful you’ll be when it arrives! 😉 XOXO

• April 8, 2013 at 6:25 pm

Thank you my California friend. And thank you especially for NOT sharing those temps! Yes, it will get warmer and soon too. I don’t even mind the cooler weather except of course 32 on a soccer field! Hope you have a fantastic week!! xoxox NY

1. No trackbacks yet.

Your Thoughts Are Welcome!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s